UNC Asheville's student newspaper earned six awards at the annual statewide College Media Association awards Feb. 24 held this year on the campus of N.C. State University. The Blue Banner took home the top honors for news and feature writing as well as awards for page design, and digital storytelling. Winning awards this year were:
- Nick Haselof, first place for single or two-page design
- Brooke Randle, first place for news writing
- Sarah Shadburne, first place for feature writing
- Karrigan Monk, second place for feature writing
- Charlie Heard, third place for photography
- Eli Choplin and James Hughes, honorable mention for digital storytelling
The N.C. College Media Association offers a one-day conference on a different campus each year to hold educational workshops and recognize outstanding work from the state's student newspapers, yearbooks and online news organizations. The association is a special program sponsored by the UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication at UNC-Chapel Hill.