Feb. 29, 2016
UNC Asheville’s student newspaper earned 10 awards at the annual statewide College Media Association awards Feb. 27 held this year on the campus of Greensboro College.
The Blue Banner earned honors for news and feature writing as well as awards for page design, illustrations and photography. Winning awards this year were:
- Jason Perry, a second place for opinion writing
- Makeda Sandford, a second place for photography
- Makeda Sandford, a second place for illustration/graphic
- Phillip Wyatt, a third place for feature writing
- Larisa Karr, a third place for illustration/graphic
- Samuel Shumate and Curtis Ginn, a third place for multimedia package
- Emmanuel Figaro, a third place for photography
- Makeda Sandford, a third place for page design
- Harrison Slaughter, an honorable mention for feature writing
- Phillip Wyatt, an honorable mention for news writing
The N.C. College Media Association offers a one-day conference on a different campus each year to hold educational workshops and recognize outstanding work from the state’s student newspapers, yearbooks and online news organizations. The association is a special program sponsored by the UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication at UNC-Chapel Hill.